All my friends can attest to the fact that I LOVE movies. I love the art, the experience, the community built around watching them. I love it all! Movies have a way of ensnaring all of our senses and evoking deep feelings without us even having to leave our seat. I love movies because I love stories. Movies have the ability to bring you into a story like almost no other medium. Everybody has a story. Who we are, where we’ve been, what we’ve done, every one of us has a unique experience that makes us who we are. The Bible is the story of God’s work from creation to the end of time, but I also think it is like a really cool movie. There’s danger, war, love, sacrifice, joy, triumph, and everything in between.
They say there are no new stories. All the stories we hear and see are just new combinations of age-old themes and situations. I couldn’t agree more. In fact, I find that many of the themes I see in the movies that I love can also be found in the pages of Scripture! I love finding themes from God’s big story in almost every single film.
Here’s a list of my favorite movies, and some of the reasons I love them
- The Princess Bride: True love stops at nothing. It’s not silly that Wesley’s unending pursuit of his true love moves us, Jesus did the same for us.
- Finding Nemo: A father who would leave a good place to save His child that had gone astray – doesn’t that sound like the Gospel?
- Remember the Titans: Love knows no bounds, and reconciliation starts with relationship.
- The Lion King: A son lost to his own guilt is reminded of his true calling by his father in heaven… enough said?
- Kung Fu Panda: You were made exactly how God intended so that you can do what He has called you to do!
- How to Train Your Dragon: Do what you know is right, even if nobody else understands.
- The Princess Diaries 2 (Not Joking): When God gives us a blessing, we can use it to help others!
- Onward: When we love someone, we put them before ourselves.
- Frozen: (see above)
- The Grinch: no matter what someone looks like, everyone is worth the same to God.
My prayer is that we would all fall in love with God’s big story of creation, sacrifice, and redemption, and see it everywhere we go.